If you follow me on twitter, you know that I was on a desperate search for a graphic designer just a few months ago. Now, you’re probably saying, how hard is it to find a graphic designer and trust me, you don’t want to know. Each new tweet asking for a referral seemed 100% more desperate and agonizing than the one before. It was one bad month, several bad meetings, and hours of my life that I will never get back later, when I learned that a glimpse of hope sat just 3 floors beneath me (cue harpsichord and choral “ahhhhh”). We immediately hit the ground running and in 90 short days, the list of artistic and graphic creativity that has emerged in generating ideas, concepts and marketing pieces that effectively represent SocialBfly, is rapidly growing and will be available for your viewing pleasure very soon. So without any further adieu, meet Mr. “hope”….better known as Jamal Momon, CEO and creative brilliance (if he doesn’t say so himself…see below) behind Momon Photo and Print.
- Hometown: Englewood, NJ
- School Creds: New Jersey City University (BS in Computer Science), The Anthem Institute (Diploma in Graphic Design and Animation)
- First Job: Administrative Assistant for a Travel Marketing Agency
- Business Offering: Graphic Design and Photography
Distractions and Downtime
- Reading now: Entrepreneur Magazine
- Reading next: Entrepreneur Magazine (next month’s copy)
- Last fun purchase: Hot shoe camera flash trigger/receiver set
- When you’re not working you can be found doing what? Buying 3 for 20 DVDs at Blockbuster to add to my collection
A Few of My Favorite Things
- Hotel: DoubleTree (don’t ask)
- Getaway: Dominican Republic
- Entrée: Curry Goat and Rice (Jamaican dish)
- Drink: Goji Melon Life Water
- Guilty pleasure: Twizzlers
Me: Explain the day in your life as a photographer/graphics designer and business owner.
JM: It’s just me and my computer (yet to be named). I enter my computer room, close all programs except Firefox and the necessary design program, and the occasional iTunes, and focus. I emerge a couple of hours later with creative brilliance!
Me: What is the best business advice ever received?
JM: Don’t not do it because it’s never been done. I actually just made that up lol, but I like it and I’m sticking with that answer.
Me: What are some words of wisdom that you live by?
JM: I love “Go for the Gusto” because I refuse to accept mediocrity. Another I swear by is “Teamwork makes the Dreamwork”. The relationship and communication between client and designer is extremely important in creating an end product that satisfies both parties.
Me: What would you describe as your best career decision?
JM: I’d have to say adding Photography to my list of design services. I feel like I’ve always had an eye for capturing moments, and I’m always working on providing this through my work.
Looking for more information?