It only takes one conversation with NJ native, now Atlanta resident, and designer, Natt Taylor to know that fashion is truly her passion. And you need only attend one trunk show to know that this dynamic woman knows her stuff — and that you want to wear it all! At least, that’s how I felt after attending her Summer trunk show in Englewood, NJ. Lights shone upon brightly colored fabrics, delicately feminine embellishments and flirty pleats and just about every woman in the room looked like she had just arrived at ready-to-wear custom-design heaven. And then when I learned of her company name, I knew she had to be EXPOSED. So without further adieu, please meet the very fashionable Ms. Natt Taylor.
- What is your company name and when were you established? DESTINI by Natt Taylor, established in 2004
- Why did you select your chosen company name: It actually chose me. It was my nickname on a step team in high school so when I decided to start my line…it seemed like the perfect fit. This is God’s plan for me, it’s my destiny.
- What is your main line of business? I design a ready to wear women’s line. I also offer custom services for proms and weddings.
- What is the inspiration behind DESTINI? I’m inspired by life. Before I entered college, I didn’t know exactly what I wanted to do, so, I allowed God to lead me and now I’m doing something that I absolutely love. I’ve always been in tune with my creative, but I never imagined being a clothing designer.
- Explain the day in your life as a business owner: On a typical day, I’m up 5:45a heading into my studio. I respond to emails, source fabrics, check in with my interns, sketch, sew, meet, etc. My mind is constantly on overload with new concepts and ideas. I try to squeeze in food & sleep when I can.
- What is the best business advice you’ve ever received? If at first you don’t succeed, try again.
- Hometown: Irvington, NJ
- School Creds: Irvington High School c/o 1996 and Morris Brown College c/o 2001
- First Job: Working in my Uncle’s bookstore in NY Port Authority
- What keeps you up at night? Ideas…I’ll get up in the middle of the night to sketch or jot down new business ideas
- What are some wise words that you live by? Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
- What was/is your best career decision?: Obtaining a degree in Accounting. Fashion is 80% business, 20% creative…having knowledge and experience in Accounting helps business run a lot smoother
- Reading now: W, Elle, Glamour, Nylon, etc…the usual fashion mags
- Reading next: The Help…saw the movie, now I can’t wait to read the book
- Last fun purchase: My last fun purchase was a really cute fabric I picked up in NY.
- When you’re not working you can be found doing what? When I’m not working, I’m thinking about what I could be working on
- Hotel: Borgata / Atlantic City
- Getaway: Hawaii
- Entrée: I LOVE Pasta!
- Drink: Bailey’s
- Guilty pleasure: Strawberry Cheesecake
Fantasies Become Reality
- Who is your dream client? Halle Berry
- What is your dream break-out opportunity: Dressing Halle for the Oscars Red Carpet
On the Net