Though currently on hiatus, Cynthia Furey’s foodie blog, FureyandtheFeast, still features some of her most treasured dishes. That’s where I found a recipe for Strawberry Grilled Cheese Sandwiches, a sweet variation of the all-american grilled cheese classic . Brie takes the place of American cheddar cheese, balsamic strawberries sweeten the deal and angel food cake stands in for regular bread. Now you know I’m all about cooking short cuts so save yourself some time and buy the angel food cake pre-made from your local supermarket – they’ll never know the difference. Lol.
STRAWBERRY GRILLED CHEESE
- 1 pint strawberries
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 12 to 16 ounces brie cheese
- 8 slices angel food cake, about 1/2-inch thick
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- Optional garnish: Powdered sugar, whipped cream
The Raw Materials
- Medium bowl
- Non-stick frying pan
- Cutting board
- Rinse strawberries and pat dry, then slice in the halves or quarters, depending on size of strawberries. Place in a medium bowl with balsamic vinegar and sugar. Mix to coat, and set aside for 30 minutes, stirring once to redistribute syrup.
- Slice rind off of brie. (This is a little tricky, given the brie can be gooey and hard to work with. Make sure the brie is chilled rather than room temperature, as will help a bit.) Once rind is removed, slice brie into 1/2-inch thick chunks.
- Heat a nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Brush butter on one side of angel food cake slice, and position it butter-side down on a cutting board or other work surface. Arrange chunks of brie and a few balsamic strawberries on slice, then top with another slice of angel food cake, brushing the top with melted butter.
- Grill sandwich in pan for about 3 to 4 minutes. Flip sandwich over, and use spatula to press down, to flatten slightly, so all ingredients meld together. Grill for an additional 3 to 4 minutes, or until slice is uniformly golden brown.
- Cut each sandwich into two triangles, and serve warm with remaining balsamic strawberries. Garnish with powdered sugar and/or whipped cream, if desired.
Experiment with different fruits or serve a medley of fruit infused grilled cheese sandwiches at your next brunch, baby shower, or tea party. Bon apetit!