I’m with the family this weekend and can’t wait to share some of our Easter family traditions later on this week. In the meantime, do you and your family have annual family traditions with which you celebrate Easter? Tell us about it below.
Tag Archives: Holiday Spirit
Easter Traditions Around the World
Easter is recognized around the world as one of the holiest holidays on the Christian calendar and while the religious observations follow the doctrines of the Christian church, the basic contours of Easter celebration may vary depending on where you are. Thanks to an IKEA ad that popped into my inbox this morning, the focus of today’s Easter Celebration lesson lands us in Sweden.
In Sweden, common Easter traditions include egg painting as they do in Western cultures however instead of having the children don their Sunday’s best, children dress up as Easter witches with long skirts, colorful headscarves and painted red cheeks to go from house to house, present their neighbors with paintings and drawings in the hope of getting sweets in return.
Homes are decorated with small branches and twigs of willow or birch which are then placed in vases throughout the home and decorated with feathers or other small decorations.
Families come together on Holy Saturday for a feast which usually includes herring, salmon, potatoes, eggs and other kinds of food.
Interested in learning about other Easter traditions throughout the world? Check out your favorite locations from the list below…
Easter in Australia
Easter in Brazil
Easter in Bulgaria
Easter in Canada
Easter in Czech Republic
Easter in Denmark
Easter in England
Easter in France
Easter in Germany
Easter in Greece
Easter in Hungary
Easter in India
Easter in Israel
Easter in Italy
Easter in Mexico
Easter in the Netherlands
Easter in Norway
Easter in Poland
Easter in Romania
Easter in Russia
Easter in Spain
Easter in Switzerland
Easter in USA
Oh by the way, the IKEA email was promoting their $9.99 ($2.49 for children under 12) all-you-can-eat Swedish Easter smorgasbord on April 15th from 5-8pm. Tickets should be purchased in advance. Find an IKEA near you.
Swedish Easter Smörgåsbord Menu
- 1st Course includes: Assorted herring; Hardboiled eggs with mayo and shrimp; Hardboiled eggs with lumpfish roe; Shrimp with cocktail sauce; Marinated salmon with mustard sauce; Smoked salmon with horseradish sauce; Poached salmon
- 2nd Course includes: Cheeses (Västerbotten, Grandfathers and Herrgård and/or Fontina); Tossed green salad; Cucumber salad; Red Beet Salad; Breads (Crispbread, Crisprolls, dinner rolls)
- 3rd Course includes: Swedish meatballs, mashed potatoes or boiled potatoes w/dill, lingonberries; Swedish ham; Prinskorv; Janssons temptations
- Desserts: Assorted Swedish desserts and cookies
- Beverages: Fountain beverages, hot beverages