I tried my hand at chocolate covered strawberries a few weeks ago after deciding to include them as one of many surprises awaiting my newly married couple upon their return to their bridal suite. Now, if you know me then you know that I am not a gourmet chef but every once in a while I get the urge to whip up something new. Sometimes, it works out perfectly…other times, notsomuch. Luckily, this time my curiosity landed on something so easy that I’m actually a little frustrated that I’ve been paying bakery prices all of these years. See for yourself…
Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- 1 pound strawberries with stems (about 20), washed and dried very well
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 Heatproof medium sized bowl
- Parchment or waxed paper
- Put the semisweet chocolate into a heatproof bowls
- Fill a medium saucepan with about 5 inches of water and bring to a simmer over medium heat
- Turn off the heat then carefully set the bowl of chocolate over the water to melt and stir until smooth
- IN A HURRY? Melt the chocolates in a microwave at half power for 1 minute. Stir. Heat for another minute or until melted.
- Remove the chocolate from the heat once it had fully melted
- Line a sheet pan with parchment or waxed paper
- Holding the strawberry by the stem, dip each on into the chocolate using a lift and twist motion. This will allow any of the excess chocolate to drip back into the bowl
- Place the strawberries on the parchment paper and when finished let sit for 30-45 minutes to allow the chocolate to set.
- IN A HURRY? Place the strawberry lined sheet pan in the refrigerator for 15 minutes for a quick set.
Now, I didn’t try these enhancements this time around but I imagine you can follow up the first chocolate plunge with a dip into coconut, chopped nuts, or even white chocolate for a little something extra. You may even want to try other types of fruits. It’s quick, easy and simple enough to try for your next baby shower, engagement party or girls night in and since not many people are going to say no to chocolate covered strawberries, they’re certified PARTY-FRIENDLY! Bon apetit!