When it comes to weddings, if safe to say that Brides are leaning further and further away from tradition and as a result, I’ve been challenged by my brides to provide alternative (sometimes, OUTRAGEOUS) takes on various wedding traditions, including “something blue” and well, get ready to imbibe because while the wine world is full of choices – red or white, sparkling or still, refreshing rosé or spritzy vinho verde – I’ve discovered there’s yet another trend on the horizon and it’s blue! And, if you’re like my brides, you may want to consider the following liquid libations for your upcoming wedding or blue-inspired event.
Blanc de Bleu Cuvee Mousseux is a non-vintage Sparkling Chardonnay wine from California with an added hint of blueberries. It offers seductive flavors and fresh aromatic effervescence – vividly pasteled with blueberries and contained in an impressively sexy bottle.
Gik wine is made using red and white grapes from vineyards in La Rioja, Zaragoza, León, and Castilla-La Mancha, Spain. Gïk blends different varieties of red and white grapes with two organic pigments to turn it blue: anthocyanin, from the red grape skin, and indigotine, an organic compound commonly used as a reddish-blue food dye. The resulting flavour is enhanced with non-caloric sweeteners to create a product that is cross between a wine, a wine cooler and a cocktail mixer, with a mellow, sweet, slightly syrupy mouthfeel.
The company faced backlash in Spain for labeling the product as wine but after weathering regulatory hurdles, Gik is finally bound for retailers in Miami, Boston, and Texas, New York, Michigan, New Jersey, Nevada, California and Washington.
Saraceni Blumond Blue Bubbly is made in Italy and noted as being seductive and flavorful, sweet, light (containing only about 7.0% in alcohol), and bubbly! I’ve actually had the pleasure of tasting this wine at a recent bridal show and I can confirm the reports – it’s delicious! And even better, they sell mini-blumond bottles which, in my opinion, is a perfect favor idea!
When talking about wine, the next question I almost always receive is, “how much will I need to purchase?”, because, let’s face it, there really is nothing worse than running out in the middle of a celebration! You typically want to give each guest 5 ounces and most standard bottles are 750ml, which pours about 5 glasses. Always account for the occasional spill and definitely expect a few guests to want a refill so I highly recommend 15 bottles for every 50 guests.
So what do you think? Are you brave enough to try blue wine?
Instagram has birthed all flavors of beauty and fashion trends over the years but in the last week, the beauty influencers have been pushing out a message that GONE are the days of perfecting smooth pouts, perfectly arched brows and understated make-up. Instead, we should throw caution to the wind and embrace our inner wild-child, who apparently wants squiggles, feathers, and mood-changing hair color.
First up…squiggle eyebrows. There’s not much we can add here except, after watching several videos of squiggles be applied, it takes a lot of skill to accomplish, when done “correctly”.
And that trend quickly morphed into the squiggle lip which, in some cases mirrored waves and others, spikes of color grossly over-applied to the lip. It wasn’t long before a picture posted of one daring femme rocking both the squiggle brow and lip and while we will always be proponents of individuality, the final look seemed a bit overdone (but still, you GO girl!!)
And then, there were feather brows. Now, having grown my eyebrows out before I’m not too sure why anyone would go for the full caterpillar effect to adorn their eyes but these ladies are making it work.
Maybe I’m not as adventurous as I thought I was because all of these were a mega-NO for me however, just as I was about to give up hope, I came across another trend that I can truly embrace – heat changing hair color!!
Professional hair-color and product line Pravana is soon releasing the industry’s first heat activated temporary hair color. By just adding heat, you can have hair that instantly goes from lime green to yellow, cool violet to pink, smokey grey to invisible, or tropical peach to invisible. Gives new meaning to wind-blown hair, right? Additionally, if you flatiron or curl your hair, the heat from the tool will have the same effect so yeah, we’re sold!
I love to hear from our readers, and if you’ve tried or plan on trying one (or all) of them, let us know.
It’s been a hectic week so let’s have a little fun this Friday!!! And drag our significant others into our crazy!! WITHOUT prompting, ask your significant other these questions and write EXACTLY what they say in the comments. The outcome can be hilarious.
- What is something I always say?
- What makes me happy?
- What makes me sad?
- How tall am I?
- What’s my favorite thing to do?
- What do I do when you’re not around?
- If I become famous, what will it be for?
- What makes you proud of me?
- What is my favorite food?
- What is my favorite restaurant?
- Where is my favorite place to visit?
- If I could go anywhere, where would it be?
- Do you think you could live without me?
- How do I annoy you?
- What is my favorite movie?
- Who is my celebrity crush?
- You get a phone call that I am in trouble, who am I with?
- What is my guilty pleasure?
- Do I snore?
Calling all NEARLYWEDS!! There’s very few things we love more than a great love story. And if your love story has brought you to the life chapter titled ENGAGEMENT, Congratulations are in order and we want to feature you in our upcoming REAL ENGAGEMENT series.
All you have to do is answer our brief survey of fun questions below and once selected we’ll send you a confirmation and request a picture of you and your Fiance. It’s that simple!
CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ENGAGEMENT!!
Whether you are recently engaged or well into planning for your big day, it is undoubtedly an exciting time in the life of you and your fiancé and a lot will happen between “Will You Marry Me” and “I Do”. With each glimpse of your ring finger your settle more and more into the promise of forever. But, what next?
- Breathe. Deeply inhale through your nose….now exhale through your mouth….good, now you’re ready!
- Tell your parents. Give them the honor of hearing the news first.
- Tell everyone else. Before you update your relationship status or instatweet your happy news, be certain you’ve PERSONALLY announced it to everyone who should hear it from you.
- Schedule a manicure. Your hands will be the new focal point as friends and family “oooh” and “ahhh” over the new sparkly adornment so keep that weekly appointment on the calendar.
- Guesstimate your guest list. Before you even begin the venue search, nail down this magic number. Planners want to how many people you’re inviting so they can pair you with spaces (ballrooms, tents, etc.) that can accommodate head count. Banquet packages are also priced in ranges based on guest minimums, so this will help you with the next step: budgeting.
- Set a realistic budget and start saving. It’s easy to get carried away planning for the happiest day of your life, but it is never a good idea to incur exorbitant amounts of debt in order to have the wedding you’ve always dreamed of. Once you find out who’s going to help you pay for the wedding, decide on an amount that you and your Fiancé can comfortably contribute and STICK TO THAT NUMBER!
- Location is everything! Deciding where you are going to hold your ceremony and reception is a big decision that may require several venues before finding the perfect one. Creating organizational systems, such as spreadsheets to keep tabs on the venues you visit and their pros and cons, will help you stay calm along the way.
- Find inspiration. Having an idea of the type of wedding you want will prove useful in helping finalize decisions. Sign up for Pinterest to track and pin pictures that excite you. Attend bridal shows…read bridal magazines…scour the web. Inspiration is everywhere! But be careful, the Internet can be an overwhelming place. Allow yourself a certain amount of time each day to get lost in cyberspace but remain realistic about what your budget will allow.
- Relax. Between family, friends, and decisions, this may seem like a tall order but you must do your best to avoid any unnecessary stress. Planning for your wedding will be no different than planning for any other monumental life event. The truth is some days will feel completely overwhelming and when this happens, make time to getaway – get a massage, sleep in, read a (non-wedding related) book. Don’t hesitate to reset and allow time for you and Fiancé to just focus on yourselves.
- Ask for help. The average wedding can require as many as 250 decisions and demand over 150 hours of your time. With this in mind, it is important to consider whether you can plan the entire wedding by yourself (or with limited help)? If you’re the type of person who’d rather not stress over the details, you may want to consider hiring a wedding planner. You may find there are some areas of your wedding where you require some planning assistance—negotiating with bakers and caterers for the best prices, finding the ideal venue, organizing party favors? If those are tasks you don’t want to tackle alone and don’t have the assistance of your mom or bridesmaids, you definitely want hire a wedding planner. Keep in mind that a wedding coordinator will cost money, so make sure the option to hire one comfortably fits into your budget before you give it consideration.
If you’ve decided that a planner is necessary, your decision to place someone in charge of pulling all of the elements and details together on your wedding day is a good one. After all, you’re the bride and you should be carrying a bouquet, not a clipboard!
If you have not yet settled on a planner to assist with these details, I invite you to learn more about SocialBFly. We are a comprehensive and stylish special events lifestyle marketing boutique that is comprised of three studios – each offering a unique and inspiring assortment of concierge, imaging, and special event planning services. We provide an array of wedding packages that are designed to assist couples in any stage of the planning process and are guaranteed to take the pressure of planning and wedding day worry off of you and your Fiancé. All of our wedding packages are 100% customizable and can be modified based on the full scope of your needs.
All of our planning services begin with a 1-hour details meeting with you and your Fiancé to discuss your vision and expectations for your big day and can easily be scheduled by completing our online event request form.
If there’s one thing we love, it’s an engagement. And if you’ve been a reader of Behind the Veil, Beyond the Vows for any length of time, you also know that we love a good celebrity love story. And we were thrilled to learn that our 2nd favorite member of the Destiny’s Child dynasty, Letoya Luckett, is engaged.
She took to Instagram to show off her gorgeous oval rock and publicly announce her engagement to Dallas entrepreneur Tommicus Walker in a post that read
“I said , ” Yes yeeeesssss” on his Burfday!! #issaengagement #GodShowedout #HesaGoodManSavanah #LoveWins #8/16/17.”
And she looks over the moon with happiness..not to mention, how CUTE he is…proving, once again, love does really win!